Copyright Vladimir Kagan December 29, 2010
There is a clear distinction between these two descriptive words:
Dumb – (adjective)
- offensive term
- temporarily speechless – we need not go into this meaning
Stupid – (adjective)
- regarded as unintelligent
I am basically not DUMB….. I do lack philosophical speculations, I am not a visionary, I don’t gaze at stars and the moon and worry about their origin or where they are going…. I am a pragmatist…. I can’t spell to save my life…(thank God for spell check!)…. In my own defense, I do have a sense for syntax (don’t ask me how?) I’m darn good on the computer, but I am also slap-dash; typically shoot from the hip, not very meticulous except in my world of design where I become anal about tidiness, details and dotting “I’s” and crossing the “T’s”. I am impatient; I am a control freak “Do it my way!!!”…. I am a back seat driver of the worst sort…. In short, no one would want to live with me except my wife.
Here is where STUPID comes in…. no one but Erica would put up with me for 53 years.
Erica is curious, exploratory, everything fascinates and intrigues her. She is amazingly knowledgeable…. With her good English education, she can quote, when needed, from the Old and New Testament, recites poetry with surprising memory, can win spelling bees, and has incredible recall of events that happened 60 or more years ago. (Ask her what we are dong tonight and she can’t remember…. no, this is NOT Alzheimer kicking in…. she’s always been that way)…. She trusts my driving and as proof falls asleep almost the instant we get into the car. She is patient to a fault; thorough and detail oriented.
- I am notorious about being on time….
- Erica finds a last minute task making it virtually certain that we are late….
- My funnel vision interests keep me on track….
- Erica’s broad range of curiosity assures a drifting mindset….
- I consider myself dumb-ish and do not easily make light conversation. In my chitchat, I stay (mostly) focused….
- Erica with her vast curiosity rambles off into outer space, with obtuse hypothesis….
She rants on about the philosophic observations of Collin Wilson, (the English author and kinsman)… something about Einstein’s theory of twos making a third. No evening is complete without her postulating about this. This is where Dumb me keeps my mouth shut and Stupid Erica sticks her foot in her mouth each time.
As a final note:
- I am a computer maven….she is illiterate.
- She never wears a watch and guesses at what time it is… I can’t live without mine!
- She thinks the Lunar Calendar is cool: as in the Chinese, Hebrew, Islamic and Hindu….
- I’m quite satisfied with the Gregorian…. (except that I can’t fathom your birthday if you were born in a leap-year.)
And finally, finally:
- Both of us share this in common…. We’re often wrong but never in doubt!
LUNAR or GREGORIAN…… Erica and I wish you a Happy New Year…. good health and real peace in the coming year