Copyright Vladimir Kagan 2010
At an early age I could not grasp the notion that space is infinite…what is out there when you get to the end of space? I still can’t. Recently, some one espoused the idea that theoretically, were we to go straight out in space, we would end up in the same spot we started. That too is mind-boggling. Clearly, astronomy and along with it, astrology alienates me.
I once stood for half a night at Nantucket’s Maia Mitchell’s observatory, waiting my turn for a glimpse of Mars through their powerful telescope. Mars was at its closest point to the earth in over a century. Finally I got a peek and what did I see? Something resembling a 40-Watt light bulb out in space!... Erica, is fascinated with that stuff and can’t get enough of it. This is what makes her an intelligent inquisitive woman and me a dolt.
Not to put myself totally down, I too am inquisitive and have unanswered questions that rumble in my head at odd times.
· `What kind of machine can open a walnut and extract it perfectly in two halves?
· What machine can extract a pit out of a Maraschino Cherry and leave the stem in tact and then dye it bilious red and get away with it by the FDA?
· Have you ever seen a dust mite? Is it creepy? Does it live in my mattress? (Erica thinks so.)
· Why is the grass always greener on the other side?
· If God is omnipresent and the creator of all things good, WHY did he invent mosquitoes?
· Why does the pharmaceutical industry give such improbable names to their products that no one can pronounce or remember them?
· Why do dedicated environmentalists count bovine farts (an offensive term meaning to release intestinal gases) and burps (releasing gases through the mouth) as contributing to global warming and leave out the billions of Humanoids, who do the same thing?
· Why am I writing these silly Blogs with only a minuscule audience to read them?