Copyright Vladimir Kagan 2010
This is the only free University course that I know of. Classes are limited to ONE.
To qualify, applicants must have graduated with an Architecture, Industrial Design, or Furniture Design degree. (While I love interior designers, their educational qualifications may not meet our school's prerequisite.)
Applicants must have excellent computing skills. Specifically:
Knowledge of Mac Operating Systems
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
3D Modeling and Rendering Programs: Rhino, 3D Studio Max, and Sketch Up
Social Media Management--Including Blogging, Facebooking and Tweeting
Must be able to write specifications and be sophisticated enough to handle interpersonal client relations.
Applicant must be able to create graphics for print projects, have library skills to take charge of archival drawings and designs. (This process will familiarize the applicant with an in-depth knowledge of furniture design.)
A college sport activity such as baseball, Lacrosse, can be an asset. This university wants a team player.
College Design and Architecture majors have learned to focus on details. We will teach our student patience - an open mind - the importance of multitasking and a desire to see the job to fruition.
We guarantee a transition from academia to the real world of design and business.
Course curriculum includes:
1. Nothing is cast in stone; never be dog headed about anything. Keep an open mind.
2. Life must be flexible at all turns of the day, week or project; In a small multifaceted business, priorities can change by the day and sometimes…minute.
3. Multitasking - New challenges are thrown in daily…we teach how to keep ALL the balls in the air.
4. There is often more than “One Road to Mecca”. While your school projects taught you to focus on a single assignment, we will teach real life requirements with multi-solution to a given problem.
5. We insist on drawing skills. Draw, Draw, Draw. Many students, who are electronically savvy, have forgotten the basic skill of drawing.
A graduate of Kagan-U will walk away with more information and skills that he or she might learn in 4 years of Academia.
Reward: A door opener to a future career.
Applicant must provide own room and board…proximity to the upper east side of Manhattan is a definite asset.
Scholarship Fund: there is a small stipend....enough for a few beers or lipstick, but not enough to pay all expenses.
Next semester starts September 1st!
Send resume and samples of recent work as one PDF to [email protected]. Files exceeding 5MB will not be considered.